Board >> Discuss Lessons >> For Sephora >> The past lessons were better

Page: 1 2 Next

Hi Cristian , is it possible to have the mp3 formate of the hole tune and is it possible to have the tabs so we can download them ? I find it better to work with. I also prefered when Stochelo broke down each lick by lick , the sound was better and the lick was a lot more clear and easer to hear all the articulations, the slow down programes don´t work as good as the real thing.Do you think it´s possible to do this again, I think it was great how the past lessons were presented, please consider this, I´m a bit disappointed,I loved the way everything was before.
Actually, one of the reasons we chose this approach is because slow downs actually ARE better. Let me explain:

When Stochelo plays licks very slowly his technique changes slightly: the angle of his left hand, the force with which he picks, even his articulations. The licks slowed down digitally give a much clearer picture of how he actually plays (also it is great to see his vibrato action in slow motion). Together with the tab that should be more than sufficient. We do realise however that a close-up on his left hand would be better so for the next months we shot everything close up.
All the theory stuff is still there, only written in the score now which - again - is an improvement.

Give it a chance this way and I'm sure you will see the benefits of studying Stochelo in slow motion yourself.

The mp3s and the whole tab will be available once all the lessons are online!

--- Last Edited by Christiaan van Hemert at 2011-07-19 19:30:13 ---
Ok, But I do have to say this that there was a paticular lick today that I was lerning from another tune and I put the mp3 throo my slow down programe and I had the tab in front of me and I must of spent about 1 hour on it and could´t get it until a put the lesson vidio with Stochelo playing it slow and I got it in one minute
I hear you! I think the close-up camera position on his left hand is the trick, which will be how we do things from now on. In the meantime if you have any questions regarding the licks in "For Sephora" which the slow motion videos won't answer for you, I'm here to help!
The problem was not a visial one but an aural one the line slowed down made it unclear to hear 1 or 2 notes
Aha! But I don't really understand how that's possible? All the notes are in the tab!
Yes , but I´m talking about were the notes sat on the beat ,I think some things can´t be writen they have to be heard and felt, you know .
I think it's much easier to get the proper articulations the new way with the slowed down video and that to me is really important. I think it was impossible for Stochelo to play everything exactly the same slowed down in the old lessons articulation wise and actually I had stopped watching the individual lessons and was just going from the song video and the tab. With the digital slowdown its much easier for me to pick up on the little things he does. Watching his vibrato in slow-mo is great. Good job guys. I think you have made an important improvement.
Ok ,I allso stoped watching the vidios and only used the mp3 track and tab, until I come across that one line(Les Yeux Noirs bar 68 the 2nd 3rd and 4th notes) that was not clear when you slowed it down.So I don´t know if you have learnt that tune yet but I havent had a problem until then.what I´m saying is before we had Stochelo playing the line slow so that was another option we had to hear the line clear.So now I feel we´ve lost that.I do think the explination on the TAB is a good thing and the slow down vidio too but like I said we´ve lost something
I love bars 67 and 68. Thats a great lick. I just went from the tab to learn it listened to the performance a lot and then worked up the speed. I can see how on that one lick it would have been easier if I had used the slowed down video lesson to check the rhythm because it is hard to hear the rhythm on the performance version but on that one the rhythm locked in pretty quick for me. I probably just lucked out on that one because there is a lot of other licks where the rhythm is the hardest part for me. That and trying to remember the picking keeps me busy.

Page: 1 2 Next

Please login to post a reply.