Board >> Music Theory >> question on improvisation

Page: 1

Another question I'd like to ask you is weather during manouche improvisation we have to foolw the accordings changing also when they are many and at fast tempo or we can play them simply on unique tune.
thanks a lot! :)
In March we will release lessons om improvistion:

We are working with Stochelo right now on some lessons where Stochelo demonstates improvising using licks you've learned in Gypsy Groovin' and Minor Swing. It will be an eye opener, and you will realise the worth of practicing transcriptions and licks.

Chords should be followed as much as possible.
Ok is that mean that for example on minor swing, playing only lick on the tonality of Am ( tonality of the song ) will not be good ?
Shall we only play lick on each chord ?

And what type of "gamme" we must study ? Pentatonic, dorian, harmonic... We read a lot of contradictions in a lot of books or methods...

My last masterclass with Romane for example ends with those advices :
- never work slowly because you ll never succeed to play at up tempo, only work on real speed and try and try ...
- never use licks of other and create your own licks with ears ...

So with not ten years of studying music it s a bit difficult to make a choice on HOW CAN I WORK TO BE SURE ONE DAY PLAY A SOLO ENTIRE AT GOOD SPEED .

Thank you

--- Last Edited by niko64 at 2011-09-06 01:23:17 ---
I don't want to offend anyone but I have some comments on these tips:

"...never work slowly because you ll never succeed to play at up tempo, only work on real speed and try and try..."

That's just complete nonsense. Practice everything very slowly and precisely. Of course you also need to practice fast but only AFTER practicing slowly!

"...never use licks of other and create your own licks with ears..."

Well, if you read my article in the first improv lesson you know what I think about this! Romane plays just as many licks as the next great gypsy guitar player so I suggest you study those licks!

--- Last Edited by Christiaan van Hemert at 2011-09-07 14:03:20 ---
I have found the advice here from Stochelo and Christiaan to be spot on.
When I work on a phrase/passage now, I slow it down and get it right first and speed up 'slowly' - This has made massive difference to my playng
Thx for all the answers ! I will work slowly from today .

Page: 1

Please login to post a reply.