Board >> Music Theory >> Chords & their role ?

Page: 1

Hi Christiaan, I have a question about Chords that play the same role in a chord progression . For example in the key of C The II chord Dm7 is the Same as the V chord , the III chord Em7 is the same as the I chord C , I would like to know about all the other chords in the key of C and what chords play the same role. Hope I'm clear about my question
you can replace
C7M with E-7 or A-7
D-7 with F7M
G7 with B-75b
If you start thinking in functions everything becomes clear. People tend to make things more complicated than they really are. There are basically three functions in western harmony:

- tonic (resolves all tension)
- sub dominant (creates slight tension to resolve to tonic)
- dominant (creates heavy tension to resolve to tonic)

This maybe overkill but in 2010 I was planning to start a blog on music theory and I wrote a reference explaining harmonic tension in detail. I ended up only writing three articles but I think a lot can be learned by trying to understand what I've written there. It is a bit heavy but doable if you are willing to invest some time reading and trying things out on the piano. Here's a link:

http://musicgrammar.wordpress.com/reference/

If you have questions ask them here.

--- Last Edited by Christiaan van Hemert at 2012-03-03 13:40:05 ---
Hi Christiaan thanks for that. I'm just trying to work out where I can use the same lines over diferent chords,so to put it in perspective in the key of C I can use a CMaj line over the (I chord III chord and the VI chord ) I can use a G7 line over the( V chord and VII chord ) and I can also use a G7 line over the subdominant chords being the II IV and it's tritone sub chords being ( bII7 Db7) and #IV F#7) . Is this right?

Page: 1

Please login to post a reply.