Board >> Discuss Lessons >> Troublant Bolero >> E7b10 Chord?

Page: 1

Hi Christiaan,
I am a jazz guitar teacher at the Vienna Conservatory and the 7b10 chord made me giggle;-)) Is that a typo, actually I don`t think so cause you are using it throughout the transcription. Can you spell the single chord tones of this chord? I`ve never heard of it. (Maybe it`s something Dutch or Gypsy ;-))
Yes, I believe it's a Dutch thing but I keep using it as it makes a lot of sense. I like to make a distinction between a static function of this chord (E7#9) and a dominant function (E7b10).

The scale that goes with the static one is the blues scale and this chord is generally found as the first chord of a blues(y) song (Stevie Ray Vaughan anyone?).

The scale that goes with the dominant is either an altered scale or the octatonic scale. As you can see these scales also have a b9 (altered) or a normal 9 (octatonic). If we would have a chord consisting of these notes: E G# D G C F and we would be using #9 the chord would read E7b9#9b13 and that seems ridiculous since we can't possibly alter the same note (9) in two different ways. E7b9b10b13 seems like a better option to me.

Anyway, it's just a name and it does seem we only use b10 in the Netherlands.

--- Last Edited by Christiaan van Hemert at 2012-08-28 15:25:36 ---

Page: 1

Please login to post a reply.