Board >> Gypsy Jazz Real Book >> 6/9 voicings

Page: 1

I'm curious on the notion of 6th or 6/9 chords, without the use of the thumb, apparently. Douce Ambiance, for instance - I'm really accustomed to using the thumb on the root, so a G-6 would be 35535X; my earlier understanding is that the m6 as 3x2333 is considered a "beginner" approach to GJ rhythm. I do have a preference for the thumbed voicing, but in the Real Book, the Nous'che course, and watching a lot of RT vids, I do see Nous'che using the 3x2333 shape quite a bit; and also using the "thumbed" shape, just no thumb...e.g., G6 as x5545, as opposed to 3x5545, thumb on the G (not all the time - but I'll often see what looks like a thumb mute, in the case of the G, thumb muting the low E string at the 4th fret).

Christiaan, can you talk about this?

Thanks,

Paul
Stochelo prefers playing the root with the thumb whenever he plays that 6/9 voicing.

Nous'che prefers playing it only in ballads because he feels that the bass note in medium and up tempos adds to much weight to the rhythm guitar and can clash with the bass.

Personally I always play the root but lately - under the influence of Nous'che's course - I have been experimenting with omitting the root and I can hear what Nous'che means. Just a matter of preference, I guess.

--- Last Edited by Christiaan van Hemert at 2013-05-10 17:48:29 ---
Ah, I see. Thank you, Christiaan, that's really interesting. I appreciate your commentary in this way in the Nous'che material as well - the shared notes between the bassist and rhythm, these subleties. It's a new world for me.

Paul

Page: 1

Please login to post a reply.