Board >> Discuss Lessons >> Daphne >> Daphné 1937

Page: 1

Hi Christiaan,
Being on holidays this week, I decided to work on Django's solo. I used Romane's book called "Django Reinhardt" and "Transcribe" to slow down Django's cd. Most of the transcribtion seems ok but I found some errors. I hope to be close to the master now. I wonder if playing Django with two fingers would help me to be closer to the master's sound and spirit. In this case, I would have to change most of my fingerings.
Could you please give me your thoughts on this topic and ask Stochelo his opinion too ?

Thanks,
Joel

That's an easy one! I was discussing this with him not long ago. We were watching a Japanese guitar player who was playing Django solos and even one of Stochelo's with two fingers. We were both amazed by the fact that he was able to do it but Stochelo found it a little ridiculous to play with two fingers if you have four.

It is more important to learn from the way Django (and Stochelo and many other real manouche players) use the fingerboard. It is more of a "diagonal" approach than the more traditional horizontal (one string) or vertical (box patterns) approach. This was developed by Django BECAUSE he had only two fingers to use but is very much usable with all four. In fact it will open more options to you so please: use all four fingers.
What a quick and clear answer. Thany you Christiaan :)
The reason why I asked this question is not only because I wished to play with two fingers but my goal is to play some of Django's solos with logical and efficient fingerings and to expand those fingerings for my future improvisations. There are so many different ways to play the same notes/arpeggios/licks on the fingerboard but it seems to me that only some of them will sound right in this style of music.
That's what we're here for. If you study Stochelo's fingerings you will gradually get a feel for which fingerings suit a particular phrase. It is not an exact science and even Stochelo sometimes varies his fingerings.

Keep studying the transcriptions at RA with the pick directions and fingerings and you will get there eventually! Next month there will be another good example with tasty licks: Hungaria.

Page: 1

Please login to post a reply.