Board >> Music Theory >> differences between jazz and manouche guitarist

Page: 1

Hi all,
I would like to know weather there are differences between a classical jazz guitarist and a manouche guitarist.If there are differences fromm the harmonic analysis choices point of view,using of scales and arpegios.
Harmonic analysis is exactly the same. What differs is the sound and the vocabulary (nature of the licks and phrases used). Manouche focusses much more on vertical diminshed arpeggios, melodic lines and much less chromatism.

--- Last Edited by Christiaan van Hemert at 2011-02-25 05:56:44 ---
Ok, I am just back from a concert in cologne with Stochelo and Jermaine Landsberger on Hammond and Piano.

You can see a little bit of this concert on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0YvTVqz-D0

Now tell me, is it Jazz or Manouche?

I think sometimes the borderlines are swimming.
Attachments
Thanks Amund. I'll have to sit down and digest this a bit but it sounds like a solid evaluation of the different styles.

--- Last Edited by Archtop Eddy at 2011-03-11 18:35:50 ---
Interesting analysis, sounds pretty solid to me.
From a more earthy less theory based point of view i see trad jazz as coming from the black american blues tradition with influences of european classical: blues - ragtime - boogie woogie - swing - be bop. And the manouche stle seems to me to come from the eastern version of the pentatonic tradition (same notes differnet accents) heavily moorish and again with influences from european classical theory.
Hi all,
I would like to know weather there are differences between a classical jazz guitarist and a manouche guitarist.If there are differences fromm the harmonic analysis choices point of view,using of scales and arpegios.

Page: 1

Please login to post a reply.