Board >> Discuss Lessons >> Coquette >> Lesson 3 Bar 22 Right Hand Picking

Page: 1

Hi All,

I'm working on the lick in bar 22. I know about the downstrokes and sweeps and stuff. But watching closely to the video and trying to think logical... the 5th note MUST be an upstroke... :)

Serious. Is there any way to BE SURE about this??
I play it as a downstroke because then my pick is on the next string to play the sixth note. There is a lick that is almost the same in Minor swing Bar 16 and it is written as a downstroke there to.
I am 100% sure Stochelo plays a down stroke there. This lick is everywhere. For another example check the bridge of Bossa Dorado.
Ok thanks! That's good enough for me.

Eventhough it's just about the fifth note, I believe this is essential. And I've spend all evening wanting to play it like this. And I think I FINALLY figured out how to look at this thing...

Hope it's the correct way. It's like I need to think in 'steps':

STEP 1 First note down, Second note up.. that's clear!

STEP 2 Third note down, Fourth note down using reststroke on the fourth note.

STEP 3 Fifth note down, Sixth note down using reststroke on the Sixth note.

STEP 4 Seventh note down, Eighth note down, Ninth note down.. reststrokes aswell.. like sweeping

STEP 5 afcourse the harmonics

Before, I'd approaching the same lick in steps as well, but based on other things. Like notes on the same string or note in the same triplet, rather than based on right hand picking. If this is correct, I think it will help other people who have the same trouble with adapting to the gypsy picking AND where thinking like me.

Hope to hear about your experiences!
I agree with Christaan, spot on with the directions.
I am just beginning to get to grips with these two downstroke dim licks. The same kind of pattern is everywhere. At first I thought it a bit odd but now I can't wait to get it smooth. So many licks depend on it.
I would agree with the steps you outlined also :)

--- Last Edited by Bo Piler at 2012-07-30 15:57:57 ---
Thanks for confirming.

I have tried hours exercising this technique on a variation of this lick. Unfortunately it does not get better. I mean, I'm not getting faster than playing it on my old way (downstrokes when passing to another string). My wrist feels stiff, but the sweeppart won't work when I try losening it.

What to do? Carry on? Slower way of working up the tempo? or let it rest and stick with the old pickingstyle?
This may help,

all downstrokes
-----------------------------7------
---------------------------9--------
--------------------7---10------------
-------------6---9------------------
------5---8------------------------
---7-----------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYSBZbSJOmY

three pairs ond one group of three.
Exercise 1 & 3 in the technique course may help a little with this.

--- Last Edited by Bo Piler at 2012-08-01 09:08:49 ---
Harry, I wouldn't worry about it. Really, the best thing would be if you can do it both ways. This will open up the biggest combination of possibilities. Stochelo can do it both ways and occasionally does the up strokes version as well.

If I were you I'd stick with the old way as your "basis" for now while you keep working on the new way. Who knows, perhaps you'll switch someday. And if you don't: the other way sounds fine as well.

Just remember:

- relax your hand (really say to yourself: RELAX, while you're playing
- keep a loose grip on your pick

Page: 1

Please login to post a reply.