Board >> Discuss Lessons >> Artillerie Lourde >> EASIER LICKS....PLEASE

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

I would not like the integrity of the music being compromised to make it easier. For that we have a dozen other approaches by other teachers to learn gypsy jazz. I would rather learn the real deal from Stochelo and have to work at it a long time, than just get a short cut that will make me play something but not sound authentic.

Some of the runs he plays, particularly some of the ascending diminished licks with all downstrokes are totally killing my right hand. But I am working hard every day and I see constant improvement.

Amund Lauritzen said @ 2011-08-11 05:19:37:
I would not like the integrity of the music being compromised to make it easier. For that we have a dozen other approaches by other teachers to learn gypsy jazz. I would rather learn the real deal from Stochelo and have to work at it a long time, than just get a short cut that will make me play something but not sound authentic.

Some of the runs he plays, particularly some of the ascending diminished licks with all downstrokes are totally killing my right hand. But I am working hard every day and I see constant improvement.

NOT LOOKING TO COMPROMISE THE INTEGRITY OF THE MUSIC,FOR SHORTCUTS OR TO PLAY LICKS THAT DO NOT SOUND AUTHENTIC........JUST LOOKING FOR LICKS THAT WONT TAKE A LIFETIME TO MASTER.....I.E MAYBE MORE MELODIC IDEAS AS OPPOSED TO LICKS THAT THE LIKES OF BIRELI WOULD BE SCRATCHING HIS HEAD AT,MARK

--- Last Edited by zool at 2011-08-11 05:32:28 ---
You know, when Stochelo is recording the videos on this site he is REALLY playing. He's not trying to make it simple and to be honest, he's not really capable of it: he always wants to play his best and the as tasteful as he possibly can. RA is to learn Stochelo's style/licks/technique and well: this is it!!

I really suggest you try approach #1 I described earlier this thread. Do this for one hour per day for a month and see how much better you've become! You won't recognize yourself.
-

--- Last Edited by rangro at 2011-08-16 01:35:39 ---
I cant think of one easy gypsy jazz track to play. Ive been playing guitar for 20 years, and for the last five years changed to playing rest stroke 100%. My picking improved 10 times, and yet every Django solo I've ever learnt, has something that I cant play, so I play something that I can play to replace it. This leads to building up licks that are mine. What Im trying to say is if its too hard, which it is for most of the tunes, try something else. We can use licks we can play instead from other tracks or make our own up which I think is important or we will all end up like Stochelo clones..... Hang on that might not be so bad, hundreds of Stochelo playalikes we could have our own festival....maybee even take over the world.
I heard someting great in a Woody Allen movie once ,he said something like, you should try to strive for originalaty , but if you are going to steel , steel from the best... I love it
I believe that's a line from "Annie Hall". Great movie!

--- Last Edited by Christiaan van Hemert at 2011-08-12 01:13:43 ---
Being a Stochelo clone sounds awesome! Then once I become self-aware of my "clone identity" I can go off and do my own thing. I think Eric Clapton said once "SRV always played like Albert King. Then one day he just start playing like SRV." I love that as a new guitarist I get Stochelo as my base. I think everything Stochelo does can be played if you slow it down and build it up. I have faith!

Besides you can find plenty of easy licks for Artillerie Lourde on youtube.
-

--- Last Edited by rangro at 2011-08-16 01:33:45 ---
Being a Stochelo clone sounds awesome! Then once I become self-aware of my "clone identity" I can go off and do my own thing. I think Eric Clapton said once "SRV always played like Albert King. Then one day he just start playing like SRV."
Truer words have never been spoken! There are lots of people on the net complaining they don't want to learn licks and copy solos because "they'll just be a copy of whoever they're copying". You know what's really ironic: the masters they admire all started out as copies. Stochelo was a copy of Django. I mean by the age of 16 all he could play were exact versions of dozens of Django solos. But if you listen to CDs from when he was 25 you'll hear pure Stochelo Rosenberg. Sure, there are Django influences but noone would ever mistake Stochelo for Django based on those CDs.

I can be an exact copy of a young Grappelli if I want (and sometimes I do a chorus like that for fun) but in the last two years a lot of other (more modern) influences started showing up in my play and now it sounds very different from Grappelli but still with lots of respect to the maestro.

Just don't make it your goal to be a copy for your whole life, but it's not a bad idea to start out like one. Hey, and if you do end up like a pretty convincing copy of Stochelo, I bet you you'll have plenty of gigs in interesting places and you will smile when you hear yourself play on a CD!

--- Last Edited by Christiaan van Hemert at 2011-08-14 18:58:06 ---

Page: Previous 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.