Board >> Discuss Lessons >> Artillerie Lourde >> EASIER LICKS....PLEASE

Page: 1 2 3 Next

FIRST OFF I WANT TO SAY THE LESSONS ON THIS SITE ARE EXCELLENT AS ARE THE TAB THAT GOES WITH IT . IT IS FAIR TO SAY THAT STOCHELO IS ONE OF THE BEST GUITAR PLAYERS IN THE WORLD, I AM NOT....AND I AM FAIRLY SURE OTHER MEMBERS OF THE ACADEMY ARE NOT EITHER . I THINK IT WOULD BE VERY BENEFICIAL FOR ALL IF ALL THE TUNES HAD AN INTERMEDIATE VERSION AND A MORE ADVANCED VERSION. I AM SAYING THIS BECAUSE IN ALL THE TUNES THERE ARE LICKS THAT ARE GOING TO TAKE YEARS TO GET UP TO SPEED ....IF THEY EVER GET UP TO SPEED. IN ARTILLERIE LOURDE IN PARTICULAR...WHILE IT IS AMAZING TO SEE STOCHELO RIPPING THROUGH THOSE LICKS WITH EASE I'M AFRAID IN THE REAL WORLD WE NEED LICKS THAT WE CAN USE NOW....IE TODAY,TOMORROW...NEXT WEEK, ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS? MARK
Artillerie Lourde is the first lesson for me that is simply overwhelming. i will probably just learn the head and leave the solo for quite a while before i approach it. I still can find plenty to do with some of the other tunes but perhaps a easier one now and again would be a good idea for those of us who are new to the style.
There are basically two ways to approach the full transcriptions:

1. Treat them as etudes
You're goal is to learn the whole solo as precisely as possible. Learn it by heart at slow tempos paying attention to technique, phrasing, timing, posture and efficiency in movement. You slowly work your way up to the right tempo. This could take weeks/months/years but it will be worth it. It is exactly how Stochelo learned himself (studying Django solos like etudes)

2. Pick and choose licks
Just take away from the solos the licks you think you're comfortable with and like. Try to incorporate them in solos on other chord progressions. Play around with them, transpose them, come up with your own variations, compose your own solos with them, you get the idea. And after some time you can come back to them and study the more difficult licks

No matter your level, you can always do the second aproach. You can also do the first approach, even when you're a beginner. Just USE A METRONOME at really slow tempos. It doesn't matter if your metronome is set at 30 bpm. Just make sure you hit every note and only move up in tempo when you're comfortable. This can be very time consuming and frustrating but worth it in the long run, I promise!

P.S. Do the technique exercises every day (with a metronome!!)
Thanks for the encouragement I will give your ideas a try.
I don't mind easier lessons or licks being added.
But I just want to add that Artillerie Lourde is exactly what I was hoping to find when I came on here. I don't find the licks/solos particularly difficult on any of the tunes, and I love the stuff in Artillerie Lourde.
Stochelo is a beast, and I'm not coming to "his" academy to get anything watered down or to get entry level lessons. There is already a ton of that out there.
Like I said, I'm not against beginner/intermediate stuff being added to. Just voicing another members needs/interests/opinion.
-Thanks
"I don't find the licks/solos particularly difficult on any of the tunes, and I love the stuff in Artillerie Lourde"
MAYBE YOU SHOULD START YOU OWN ACADEMY IF YOU CAN PLAY LIKE STOCHELO :)
I agree with iloverumi! I think if you can't play it then you must be play yoo fast or haven't mastered the earlier songs. I love how each song has gotten more difficult and increased in tempo in various ways. I'm not on Artillerie Lourde yet because I am following Christiaans "step 1" but I'll show you when I get to this song that I can do it!!! Take the time man, it is worth it!
I agree with iloverumi! I think if you can't play it then you must be play yoo fast or haven't mastered the earlier songs. I love how each song has gotten more difficult and increased in tempo in various ways. I'm not on Artillerie Lourde yet because I am following Christiaans "step 1" but I'll show you when I get to this song that I can do it!!! Take the time man, it is worth it!
JUST TO CLARIFY MY POINT, I NEVER SAID I COULD NOT PLAY THE LICKS IN ARTILLERIE LOURDE OR ANY OF THE OTHER TUNES. WHAT I DID SAY WAS THAT TO PLAY SOME OF THE LICKS AT FULL TEMPO IS A LIFETIME AWAY AND IT WOULD BE MORE BENEFICIAL TO ME AND YOU IF WE HAD LICKS THAT WERE EASIER TO PLAY AT THE FULL TEMPO, NOT BEGINNER LICKS....JUST LICKS THAT DON'T REQUIRE A BLACK BELT IN GUITAR PLAYING TO PLAY AT FULL TEMPO. I HAVE SEEN ALL OF YOUR VIDEOS....AND WHILE YOU ARE DEFINETLY MAKING REALLY GOOD IMPROVEMENT ON THE SONGS,THERE ARE STILL QUITE A FEW MISTAKES IN THEM EVEN AT VERY SLOW TEMPOS AND IN MY OPINION YOU ARE STILL AN EXTREMELY LONG WAY OFF PLAYING ANY OF THEM AT THE FULL TEMPO. THIS COMMENT IS NOT MEANT TO DISCOURAGE YOU ....IT IS JUST A REALITY CHECK.IF I COULD PLAY THE LIKES OF ARTILLERIE LOURDE AT FULL TEMPO STRAIGHT AWAY OR IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS I WOULDN'T HAVE JOINED THE ACADEMY IN THE FIRST PLACE. SO TO SUMMARISE.... IF THERE ARE MEMBERS ON HERE THAT CAN PLAY ARTILLERIE LOURDE WITH THE PROPER TECHNIQUE AT THE FULL TEMPO THEN THEY ARE EITHER UNDISCOVERED GUITAR GENIUSES OR COMPLETELY DISILLUSIONED WITH THERE OWN ABILTY, ...MORE MANAGEABLE LICKS PLEASE FOR MERE MORTALS LIKE ME, MARK
No worries zool! You can do it! I agree. I don't think anyone can play these at full tempo yet. Let's get better together!
GOOD IDEA DUDE.

Page: 1 2 3 Next

Please login to post a reply.